Architect | Developer
Hardware/Software Performance and Authentication
- Hardware/software level programming (C, C++, Assembly)
- Backend and network performance analysis (UNIX/Linux/LAN/WAN)
- Server/Embedded/HA systems software
- C, C++, Java
2008-Present: Consulting @ Riventree
- Programming, computational, system management, media, and research projects as needed.
2005-2008: Senior Engineer @ Google
- Source-code level analysis and improvement of enterprise-wide internal build tools at Google. Delivered improvements enhancing the Open Source tools Google uses. Propagated these changes back to the community.
- Implemented pre-authenticated pre-established TCP connections to the Google build services and investigated their performance. In practice the win did not justify the additional code layer. Null results are disappointing to engineers, but valuable to companies.
2003-2005: SDE III @ Amazon
- Developed patented (US7617133) process for improving throughput and latency of packages flowing from the customer base to Amazon.
- Delivered High availability low latency networked software services support of the amazon website, including dynamically edited images.
2000-2003: Systems Engineer @ NextGig Information Systems
- Developed embedded software for a custom-hardware database frontend appliance which intercepted, transparently and completely, all connections to a heavily loaded Oracle server, and rewrote the queries such that they resolved more quickly or responded with transactionally consistant data without sending the query to the database at all.
1997-2000: Senior Systems Engineer @ UUNET Technologies
- Developed PPPOE (IETF RFC 2516), an international telephony standard. The first PPPOE connection in the world happened between two boxes on my desktop at UUNET.
- Saved UUNET >$6M by investigating ROIC of ISP-side web caching (1-5TB in scale) similar to what AOL was attempting to build at the time. The math did not justify the expenditure for companies (such as UUNET/MCI) which owned the fiber in the ground. Presented these findings directly to the C-suite.
- Replaced hashing algorithm for CNEWS at what was probably the largest USENET node in the world at that time.
- Developed compression algorithm and forward error correction code for a multicast news service.
Additional work information and numerous references available on request
California State University, Chico
BA, Computer Science
Earning Without Being Employed: 35 Businesses Anyone Can Start and Run