Architect | Developer
Hardware/Software Performance and Authentication
- Hardware/software level programming (C ,C++, Assembly, Java)
- Backend and network performance analysis (UNIX/Linux/LAN/WAN)
- Server/Embedded/HA systems software
Senior Engineer @ Google
- Analysis and improvement of enterprise-wide internal build tools at Google. Delivered improvements to global build systems by enhancing the Open Source tools Google uses. Propagated these changes back to the community.
- Investigated the performance advantage of pre-authenticated pre-established TCP connections to the Google build services. While in theory this would save time, in practice the very small win did not justify the additional code layer. Presented these results to the powers that be, cancelled project. Learned that null results are important to propagate.
SDE III @ Amazon
- Developed patented (US7617133) process for improving throughput and latency of packages flowing from the customer base to Amazon.
- Delivered High availability low latency networked software services support of the amazon website, including dynamically edited images.
Systems Engineer @ NextGig Information Systems
Developed embedded software for a custom-hardware database frontend appliance which intercepted, transparently and completely, all connections to a heavily loaded Oracle server, and rewrote the queries such that they resolved more quickly or responded with transactionally consistant data without sending the query to the database at all.
Senior Systems Engineer @ UUNET Technologies
- Developed PPPOE (IETF RFC 2516), an international telephony standard. The first PPPOE connection in the world happened between two boxes on my desktop at UUNET.
- Investigated ISP-side web caching (1-5TB in scale) similar to what AOL was attempting to build at the time. The math did not justify the expenditure for companies (such as UUNET/MCI) which owned the fiber in the ground. Presented these findings internally to the very top tier of the organization.
- Replaced hashing algorithm for CNEWS at what was probably the largest USENET node in the world at that time.
- Developed compression algorithm and forward error correction code for a multicast news service.
Prior work information and numerous references available on request
California State University, Chico
BA, Computer Science
Earning Without Being Employed: 35 Businesses Anyone Can Start and Run